freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 Mirroring

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <brian.bruns AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 Mirroring
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:29:58 -0400

From my own experience, most clustering arrangements involve IP address
takeover, so that one box detects a failure with its partner and then
proceeds to take over the resources (disk, processes, ip addresses). This
is preferable to DNS switch over due to the propagation delay of DNS.

The problem with bolting this into FreeTDS (or any client package) is the
client can't determine if the server is down or not. So, if you had a
momentary network glitch, for instance, you generally don't want your
clients flipping over to your secondary when the primary server is alive and
well.

The primary and secondary servers can maintain a heartbeat via serial cable
or private ethernet and know when to do the right thing.

Note, I'm a unix guy, so much of this is from AIX or linux experience. I
believe Microsoft calls their equivalent software "MSCS"

Brian