freetds - Re: [freetds] Requested: Clarification about TEXT type (0x23) onSqlServer

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Requested: Clarification about TEXT type (0x23) onSqlServer
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 11:55:44 +0200

> Mr. Lowden,
>
> Thank you, sir.
>
> That bit about the collation was enlightening. I
> have avoided trying to grok the complexity of the
> collation information until now. I have found a
> few pages on MSDN about them, and particularly
> copying data between different collations, I can
> tell this is going to be a long study.
>
> I had expected that TXTPTR would be present for
> TEXT type, but I think I have an example of a
> client RPC packet (0x03) where a TEXT parameter
> does not have TTXTPTR but does have COLLATE. I
> had hoped to attach an example capture file, but
> I'm still trying to remove identifying information
> from it...

If I remember text from client to server do not have txtptr... I don't
fully remember when data has txtptr and when not...

> One more question, if your would be so kind:
> what does it mean when a RESULT (0x81) response
> token has a length of -1 (0xFFFF). This is in
> response to a sp_cursor RPC(core id == 1). I infer
> that it may mean "refer to previous RESULT", or
> perhaps some default, but it is not immediately
> obvious.

Token length 0xFFFF means 65535 bytes. Perhaps you are referring to data
length 0xFFFF, in this case it means NULL.

> Thank you again for all your help, and for FreeTDS.
>
> C.

Bye
freddy77

  • Re: [freetds] Requested: Clarification about TEXT type (0x23) onSqlServer, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 04/01/2007