freetds - Re: [freetds] Question about alpha vs RC vs stable releases

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Question about alpha vs RC vs stable releases
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:51:49 -0400

Medi Montaseri wrote:

> So looks like 0.64 is the one I should be getting. However
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/freetds-0.64.tar.gz is
> clearly in some ALPHA directory. Should I just "never mind" the path and
> trust that 0.64 is stable or what ?
>
> Then I come accross a file called
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/README.index that
> reads
> The numbering system is rational but potentially confusing.
>
> The current stable release is 0.63. It is quite new.

Apologies. I'll update the README. 0.64 is current. If timeout logic is
important to you, I suggest you review the Q1 list archives to understand
what's changed in the current snapshot; you might decide to use it
instead.

Regarding the ALPHA directory. I looked into once. That's where the
projecgt was first placed back in the day when it really was alpha
software. It routinely crashed and corrupted data. That was many years
and versions ago. It would be nice to move it to a more appropriately
named location now, but 1) people know where to look for it if they've
been using it for a while and 2) I don't know how to pursue it with
ibiblio. So there it stays.

Welcome to the project.