freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem trying to install freeTDS 0.64 on aix 5.3.0 .0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem trying to install freeTDS 0.64 on aix 5.3.0 .0
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:07:00 +0100

> Many thanks to Freddy and James for their swift response.
>
> I managed to find the tcp.h file, but when I then ran the
> configure, I got
> the following error:

Whre did you find it?

> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: check for missing prerequisite
> headers?
> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
> Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: proceeding with the
> preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: in the future, the
> compiler will take
> precedence
> configure: WARNING: ##
> ------------------------------------------ ##
> configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME
> lists. ##
> configure: WARNING: ##
> ------------------------------------------ ##
>
> After searching around, I managed to fix this error by inserting the
> following line in the tcp.h file:
> #include <netinet/ip.h>
>
> This now compiles, finds and uses the tcp.h file.

probably tcp.h require ip.h already included in AIX. I agree however
with James that code can work even if TCP_NODELAY is not present. I
noted that we have

/* under VMS we have to define TCP_NODELAY */
#elif defined(__VMS)
#define TCP_NODELAY 1
#define USE_NODELAY 1
#endif

perhaps we should define TCP_NODELAY even on AIX if not found ??

> However, I am now getting another error when I run the make command:
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tdsdump_open

what does this command reply (after make stops) ??

$ /usr/bin/nm -B -BCpg src/tds/.libs/libtds_objects.a
src/replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a

I think is a libtool problem with AIX and -export-symbols-regex option
(perhaps with AIX ld...). You could try to removing

-export-symbols-regex
'^(db|bcp_|tdsdump_open|tdsdbopen|.*_xact|close_commit|open_commit|.?asp
rintf).*'

part from src/dblib/Makefile.in (before configure)

> I'm also seeing a lot of warnings containing 'visibility attribute not
> supported in this configuration'.

not a problem, ignore it, it's only a symbol optimization.

> I've attached the latest configuration and make outputs.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Darren

If you could be so kind to give me a AIX account I would try to
understand this problem. It's a very longstanding issue!

Regards
Frediano Ziglio