freetds - [freetds] new TDS spec document from Sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: crawford charles <fiducianettestz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] new TDS spec document from Sybase
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:59:36 -0800 (PST)

On a vaguely related topic...
does anyone know if there is a description of the SQL Anywhere CMDSEQ
protocol available? The TDS 5.0 document specifies Buffer Types (0x18
through 0x1C) used in the protocol, but when I look at an Ethereal trace of
what is allegedly the protocol (server port 2638), the Buffer Header fields
do not make sense. It is almost as if the buffer header has shrunk from
eight bytes to four bytes, and the rest of the packet does not seem to
conform to the tokens described therein. I can clearly see the SQLsource in
the occasional packet, plus a banner "CONNECTIONLESS TDS" in the opening
(post TCP-handshake) client packet.

Even more distantly related: has Ethereal development stopped for TDS.
Support for SqlServer seems to be more advanced, and newer Sybase tokens do
not appear to be supported.

Thanks.