freetds - Re: [freetds] Failing logins / instance ignored? (solved)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Matija Grabnar <matija.grabnar AT hermes-softlab.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Failing logins / instance ignored? (solved)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:26:34 +0100

James K. Lowden wrote:
DBD::Sybase passed the majority of the tests when you installed it?
Yes.
Export TDSDUMP, look at the log. At the very top it should confirm
you're using the right version. Later it should tell you how the
connection attempt was made and what failed. That will probably be enough
to straighten things out.
Yes, it was. It turned out that after I installed freetds by hand (instead
from Debian package) I had two configuration files (one in /etc/freedts
and one in /usr/local/etc). Once I realized that, linked them to the same file, and made the appropriate changes to that, everything started working.

Then I went through it again with sqsh - installed from debian package,
saw it used the old libs, installed from source, and got it working.
You didn't have to upgrade, you know (although it's just as well,
support-wise). You just had to ask your DBA what port your instance is
running on, and set that correctly as a dataserver entry in freetds.conf.
Well, it's in my nature to try to solve the problem instead of using a workaround anyway. But also, in this particular case, solving the problem this way was quicker than it would be getting a response from my DBA ]:-)

Thanks again!