freetds - Re: [freetds] "error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] "error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow"
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:24:54 -0400

Peter Matulis wrote:
> I currently have a Linux system successfully performing SELECT queries
> on a MS SQL Server 2000 system. However, I notice that sometimes I
> get an error:
>
> "error_handler: Data-conversion resulted in overflow"
>
> I get this when I add a single column to a select statement. That
> column has bigint as datatype.

That would come from src/ctlib/cs.c, line 650. It's a bit messy: it
writes to stderr instead of calling the client's error handler. But it
gets the point across, I suppose.

> Does anyone know why this is happening
> and how I can resolve it?

I think you're trying to convert a BIGINT to a string (possibly
implicitly, through binding). The character buffer is not big enough.

The conversion function that emits this message returns CS_FAIL. That
should be passed back to your application.

HTH.