freetds - Re: [freetds] CS_INT size bug

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] CS_INT size bug
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:07:44 -0400

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 04:42:12PM -0400, entropy AT freetds.org wrote:
> Norbert Sendetzky wrote:
>
> > I'm using a standard 32bit x86 machine.
> >
> > The problem I'm facing are lots of warnings when compiling the sybase
> > backend
> > of my library (OpenDBX, http://www.linuxnetworks.de/opendbx/) against
> > FreeTDS
> > instead of the Sybase ctlib.
> >
> > In Sybase' ctlib, CS_INT is defined as "long" and as "int" in FreeTDS
> > which is
> > problematic when using printf() functions. This is because of the
> > different
> > expectations gcc/printf have when handling "%d" and "%ld" modifiers.
>
> The problem is that your code is making assumptions about what type a
> CS_INT is. If it were reasonable for your code to do that, then there
> would be no such thing as a CS_INT, and instead it would just be "int"
> or "long".
>
> The most portable thing your code can do in this case is explicitly cast
> to a type, then use the printf(3) format for that type.

That's good advice from a C perspective. The application shouldn't assume
anything about opaque types.

>From the library's perspective, though, maybe we're making a mistake? We
do a bunch of things in the header files -- e.g. use #define instead of enum
-- just because that's how Sybase did it 20 years ago. It wouldn't be
wrong to change it.

Thanks for pointing it out, Norbert. I don't know what we'll do or what's
even feasible, but it's worth at least discussing.