freetds - Re: [freetds] Trouble connecting to SQL Server 2005 instance

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Werby <smwerby AT vcu.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Trouble connecting to SQL Server 2005 instance
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:47:04 -0400

Steve Werby wrote:
I have a PERL application on a Linux server, which used to query a SQL Server 2000 database on default port 1433 via DBD::Sybase and FreeTDS. The database was migrated to a SQL Server 2005 instance on port 11433, which I'm unable to connect to.

SNIP

telnet <ip> 11433

Trying <ip>...
telnet: connect to address <ip>: No route to host

Can connect to port 1433.

I should have realized this sooner, but it's probably due to a rule in the ACL. I'm told that when port 11433 was opened, rules were added to only allow access from certain subnets, whereas that's not the case for port 1433. After the network admin has a chance to investigate I'll be able to confirm that's the case.

--
Steve Werby
Office of Information Technology