freetds - Re: [freetds] There was a problem connecting to the server on FreeTDS .64

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pat Hacker <pat AT picoworks.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] There was a problem connecting to the server on FreeTDS .64
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:02:03 -0700

I installed FreeTDS and it didn't give me any errors on installation, so I guess it installed right. When I try to tsql -S JDBC -U guest -P sybase it gives me

Matt
Make sure you can ping the servers ip address.
$ ping <ip address>
If that works then try to connect to the host using a IP address
$ tsql -H <ip address> -p <port#> -U guest -P sybase
If this works and what you tried did not then the problem is in your freetds.conf

presumably your freetds.conf looks something like the following:
[JDBC]
host = 192.168.0.16
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0
Obviously you need to make sure the values match your situation.
The other alternative is you don't have a freetds.conf or it's in the wrong place.
Pat