freetds - Re: [freetds] Data porting homegrown tools and techniques (wasRE:freebcp: add support for escaping characters?)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Roger L. Reid" <roger.reid AT dpw.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Data porting homegrown tools and techniques (wasRE:freebcp: add support for escaping characters?)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:56:40 -0400

Aha! So you're the man, Bill. So often after hacking these things you
think "it would be great to clean this up enough to let other people use
it" and you don't get the chance. Thanks for helping to keep my life
sane.

But somehow I've missed "datacopy". Guess I better go rummage around in
the freetds directories some more!
Especially knowing it came from a Sybase->SQL Server port.

SP's are mostly a non issue because a great deal of this was originally
on a Britton Lee system (Bob Epstien, who is the father of Sybase (which
is the father of all software based RDB servers) left BL to create
Sybase ); and BL did not have stored procedures per se. No NULLs,
either. [Nor SQL; it used QUEL, a superior language]. Since much of
this stuff was ported off there, we have always had a cultural bias
against SPs.

Actually it's one of the tasks these days - encouraging the developers
to embrace SPs ("don't do as I do, do as I say")

Wish we had stuck with the "no NULLs" thing. But I think I recall being
excited to learn NULLs would be supported in
Sybase "three value logic? How exotic!" (foolish youth!)

I do hit some interesting snags - like this bit that worked on Sybase,
not on SQL Server:

select foo, bar, baz from ThisTable t, OtherTable o
where t.bar = o.bar and baz = BAZ;

  • Re: [freetds] Data porting homegrown tools and techniques (wasRE:freebcp: add support for escaping characters?), Roger L. Reid, 04/03/2006