freetds - Re: [freetds] Universal Binary for OS X?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Universal Binary for OS X?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:10:36 +0100

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:36, Ben Borofka wrote:

I have a Cocoa app in OS X that uses tsql from FreeTDS as a helper
application. I'm trying to make this app fully Intel-Mac compatible,
as Apple calls it, "Universal". I've compiled FreeTDS from the
command-line fine, but it always compiles tsql as a PowerPC binary.
Does anyone know how to compile FreeTDS, or any command-line app as a
Universal Binary?

Start by reading this:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

The "Merging multiple builds" way should be the simplest, although not very convenient to repeatedly do it as it is hard to automate:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html#TNTAG3
You simply build it on both a PPC and an Intel Mac and then use the lipo tool to bundle the two together into one universal binary.

It's also worth noting that tsql is intended as a diagnostic tool, to be used solely for testing that your freetds setup is working properly. It is not recommended to use it as a helper tool.

--
fds