freetds - [freetds] which version to support in server code

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com.au>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] which version to support in server code
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:28:17 +1100

I want to use the existing server code to support connections from Query
Analyser, and take the query requests myself, eg the opposite of what
freetds does.

I've pretty much gotten this working, I can get a query and send back
some results. First I had it working as TDS 4.2 because that's what
Query Analyser fell back to when I closed the request upon receiving the
0x12 packet.

Now I can give the correct response to the 0x12 packet to say just do
normal unencrypted 0x10 login (thanks freddy77), and have updated my
server code to work with tds7+, but have most likely broken the support
for <7.

Assuming that someone else might want to make use of the same code for
whatever reason, is there much point in maintaining support for TDS
clients prior to version 7?

What version is the recommended one to use with the FreeTDS client?

Does anyone else on the list care about the server code?

Thanks

James