freetds - Re: [freetds] server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com.au>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] server
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:08:56 +1100

There is a 'server' directory in src in the freetds tree, which builds
libtdssvr.so, which appears to be a library which can handle the server
side of the tds protocol. It contains a 'tds_listen' call which listens
on a tcp port, and then a 'tds_alloc_read_login' which allocates a login
structure and reads the login from the client (eg Query Analyser), and a
whole load of other calls to do with reading a query and sending results
(eg the opposite of sending a query and reading results).

It doesn't seem to work properly though... for tds8 with a username of
'fnord', the 'tds_alloc_read_login' call only seems to read the username
of 5 bytes, but tds8 uses multibyte so it should read 10 bytes.

Looking at the code, it may be that I need to initialise the iconv stuff
so it is properly aware of multibyte characters, but I'm not sure how to
do that.

I get the impression that this code is essentially unmaintained and
possibly unused.

If anyone is using it, I would love to speak to you :) Alternatively if
you know with any authority that the code is in fact unmaintained and
unused, I probably need to hear that too :(

Thanks

James