freetds - Re: [freetds] MSSQL TEXTSIZE for large text files is not returning anyvalues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MSSQL TEXTSIZE for large text files is not returning anyvalues
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:33:13 +0100

> Hello,
>
> I'm connecting to a MSSQL database which has a table with 2
> text columns.
>
> When connecting to the table, I'm unable to display those 2
> columns. I tried
> to convert to a varchar... but 8000 bytes is not long enough
> for the data I
> tried to access.
>
> I changed the TEXTSIZE to a bigger value, but when I go over
> 300, nothing is
> ouputted. I checked in the logs, and everything is received
> correctly...
> here it is, if you can help me, I would really appreciate.

> RESULTS is :
> [root@localhost examples]# isql -cbdv -x0x09 879_2005 AWFM ********
> +----------------------------- ----------+
> | Connected! |
> | |
> | sql-statement |
> | help [tablename] |
> | quit |
> | |
> +---------------------------------------+
> SQL> SELECT BODY FROM CombinedBody WHERE CKT LIKE 'LCLXXU099969%'
> BODY
>
> SQL>
>

> My freetds.conf file look like this :
>
> [global]
> # TDS protocol version
> tds version = 4.2
>
> # Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
> # (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
> dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
> debug level = 10
>

> text size = 100000
>
> #Database with all the 879 information being sent from MCCDS
> to NSC_HUB to
> FWFM (SB)
> [Search879]
> host = AL2CAD.XX.XXXX.XX <http://al2cad.on.bell.ca/>
> port = 1433
> tds version = 8.0
> # client charset = UTF-8
>
> #########
> Any ideas why the logs show that it receive the information
> correctly, but
> it is not returned by isql? Freetds bug?
>

>From unixODBC

nReturn = SQLFetch( hStmt );
while ( nReturn == SQL_SUCCESS || nReturn == SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO )
{
/* COLS */
for( nCol = 1; nCol <= nColumns; nCol++ )
{
nOptimalDisplayWidth = OptimalDisplayWidth( hStmt, nCol,
nUserWidth );
nReturn = SQLGetData( hStmt, nCol, SQL_C_CHAR,
(SQLPOINTER)szColumnValue, sizeof(szColumnValue), &nIndicator );
szColumnValue[MAX_DATA_WIDTH] = '\0';

if ( nReturn == SQL_SUCCESS && nIndicator != SQL_NULL_DATA )
{
sprintf( (char*)szColumn, "| %-*.*s",
nOptimalDisplayWidth, nOptimalDisplayWidth, szColumnValue );
}
else if ( nReturn == SQL_ERROR )
{
break;
}
else
{
sprintf( (char*)szColumn, "| %-*s",
nOptimalDisplayWidth, "" );
}
fputs( (char*)szColumn, stdout );
} /* for columns */

nRows++;
printf( "|\n" );
nReturn = SQLFetch( hStmt );
} /* while rows */

in isql.h

#define MAX_DATA_WIDTH 300

SQLGetData returns SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO if data are truncated (which is
the case in this situation) so isql print just spaces. I don't think
isql is written to manage so large data.

freddy77

  • Re: [freetds] MSSQL TEXTSIZE for large text files is not returning anyvalues, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 12/28/2005