freetds - Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQL server. Integrated secur ity, ssl?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Pickett, David" <David.Pickett AT phlx.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQL server. Integrated secur ity, ssl?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:56:46 -0500

Using a SSH/SSL tunnel from client to server is a simple way to take the
plaintext password off the net without touching the client (except to
configure the db as being on a local tunnel port) or the server (except to
install a tunnel service from the SSH incoming port to the local db server
port). There are many tunneling products out there, many free. I have uses
SSH2 and Putty to secure VNC this way.

Another roundabout way to the same end is to make your application a light
https:// service on the DB server host, or a host securely connected to the
DB server host.

Best regards,

David