freetds - [freetds] SQLTables and wildcards (was Squirrel JDBC-ODBC Bridge and freeTDS ODBC)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] SQLTables and wildcards (was Squirrel JDBC-ODBC Bridge and freeTDS ODBC)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:13:50 +0100

Well, I go a bit deeper on this issue. Calling ODBC SQLTables using odbc
3 catalog parameter can contains wildcards (%, _). What does this mean
and what's the problem? Current implementation simply calls sp_tables
however sp_tables do not accept wildcards on @table_qualifier parameter
(it only accept same name of database). mssql (2000 or 7 I don't know)
introduced a new sp_tableswc (sp_tables wildcard I think) that accept
wildcards on catalog (catalog, qualifier and database name are the same
things here). It simply execute a sp_tables for every database it find
from master..sysdatabases, collect results in a temporary table and then
return this table. The problem now is how to implement this sp_tableswc
on Sybase (which do not provide it). Declaring cursor to get database
names is not a problem however I'm not able to collect data returned
from a store procedure.... mssql support a

insert into <table_name> exec sp_tables ...

syntax however Sybase reject it. If anyone have some hints... there are
some solution:
- compute a big query on client side to get all information
- execute a "select name from master..sysdatabase where ...", build a
list of "database..sp_tables ..." query, cache on client and join
results to client
- use a sort of way to execute a query just after another query not
going to idle state to join multiple sp_tables results, similar to
previous but without the need to cache all results

freddy77

  • [freetds] SQLTables and wildcards (was Squirrel JDBC-ODBC Bridge and freeTDS ODBC), ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 11/02/2005