freetds - [freetds] User Guide could use an update

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jim Riley" <rileytmp AT unavco.org>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] User Guide could use an update
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:06:23 -0600

All,

Just a note that the User Guide could be made to be more clear and helpful
by noting in the PHP section that there are 4 ways to build PHP with support
for FreeTDS (NOT 3). Mssql should be noted as an option (not relegated to
the small side note inside the db-lib paragraph) for those seeking to
connect to MS SQL servers. The new mssql section should provide an example
of compilation options for freeTDS (is --enable-msdblib really necessary?),
and also for php (--with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds).

This would save some frustration for many users.

Just my $0.02

Feel free to contact me regarding my experience trying to get freeTDS and
PHP (sparc/solaris9), and MS SQL 2000 (intel) talking. I used to be a
technical writer and might be able to add some perspective.

Jim Riley
UNAVCO Web Administrator
rileytmp AT unavco.org