freetds - Re: [freetds] Stored Procedure Output Parameters

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Stored Procedure Output Parameters
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:02:31 +0200

Il giorno mar, 02/08/2005 alle 13.13 +0100, Paul Robinson ha scritto:
> Thanks Bill.
>
> BOL?? - I don't know what this is.
> Presumably there is some documentation somewhere that you are referring
> to for the dblib API - I've been working on this issue we found (in PHP
> really rather than FreeTDS) and this seemed the simplest way to solve
> it. I'm not familiar with the API that is implemented at all.
> Documentation pointers are always appreciated.
>
> Even if this is the case that wouldn't _necessarily_ give a way of
> determining the difference between and empty VARCHAR string and a NULL
> value - would it?

Original SQL Server could not distinguish empty string from NULL. Or
better... empty strings was stored as a single space ' ' while NULL was
stored as... empty string (''). dblib is the original library so len ==
0 always means NULL. I don't know however if using recent protocol dblib
return ' ' for empty database strings...
Fixed in CVS (0.63). Already fixed time ago in 0.64 (CVS HEAD) as a side
offset of null handling rewriting. Attached post 0.63 patch.