freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS (on FreeBSD) lost connection toremoteMSSQLserver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: liam AT inodes.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS (on FreeBSD) lost connection toremoteMSSQLserver
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:25:29 +1000

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:36:03AM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:

> TDS_DEAD. (But there might be code paths that don't?) I think the OP
> need only check the state.

This is mostly what my original network timeouts patch was made to
address as I loose connectivity to my MSSQL server semi regularly
and am able to detect the problem and take appropriate action using
dberrhandle() and dbmsghandle() functions.

I also wrote my own pooling library on top of dblib and I refresh
all connections (that is tear down and re-open) at a regular interval.

If you do the above and grab the latest snapshot of FreeTDS from CVS, I'm
sure your application will behave nicely.

One thing I do know that FreeTDS does not cope nicely with is rapidly
making multiple connections to the remote MSSQL server (MSSQL will
eventually refuse connections from the host) and then the TDS structures
appear to get messed up.

Cheers.