freetds - RE: [freetds] FreeTDS (on FreeBSD) lost connection to remote MSSQLserver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] FreeTDS (on FreeBSD) lost connection to remote MSSQLserver
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:34:33 +0200

> All,
>
> Is there any way to detect server disconnection?
> I have FreeTDS installed from ports on FreeBSD 5.3 (version 5.0 as
> port says).
> Everything working great, but in case network problems or SQL server
> restart tds_submit_query simply returns 0 (TDS_FAIL) with no extra
> information.
> Can I handle such kind of situation?
> Thank You!

I remember some (old) post on this subject... it seems that FreeTDS is
too silent about connection closing. It close correctly connection and
all future function should return failure condition however it do not
launch any message to client. James, what do you think about? How do
proprietary libraries behave? Do they continue informing client that
connection is closed?