freetds - RE: [freetds] "Can't initiate unicode conversion" with unixODBC andfreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Hydak, Christopher" <chydak AT corp.untd.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] "Can't initiate unicode conversion" with unixODBC andfreeTDS
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:23:02 -0400

All descriptive fields were changed when emailed to protect the
innocent, so I'm using the correct values. I don't know where I came
across putting the username and password in the inifile...somewhere they
suggested it but I agree that it's bad form and hence probably not even
used.

I finally have solved my problem though. The problem stemmed from
multiple issues. One being that when I ran the command

isql -v <DSN> <USER> "<PASSWD>"

it gave me that previous error. However, if I run this command:

sudo isql -v <DSN> <USER> '<PASSWD>'

It worked. Apparently both the single quotes and having root access are
needed to run this isql command successfully. The same thing when I
tried to make the DBD:ODBC module in perl...I had to run sudo make
instead of just make. Not sure if this is just my system problem, or if
others have seen this in the past.

Thanks to y'all for your help.
Chris