freetds - RE: [freetds] Nightly build fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Nightly build fails
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:27:07 +0200

> I agree with you that num_limits.h shouldn't be in CVS. But it's a
> little more complicated than adding just one rule.
>
> The problem with not committing autogenerated files: teach autogen to
> make num_limits.h when building from CVS, but to include num_limits.h in
> the output of "make dist". The reason, you remember, is that people who
> build from distributions and snapshots shouldn't need Perl. I know we
> agree on that point; I'm just reminding everyone.
>
> I just committed changes to src/tds/Makefile.am that I think meets these
> requirements.

Using distro

$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `numeric.pl', needed by `num_limits.h'.
Stop.

This cause (from my Makefile)

BUILT_SOURCES = num_limits.h
EXTRA_DIST = num_limits.h
all: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
$(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) all-recursive
num_limits.h: numeric.pl Makefile
perl $(srcdir)/numeric.pl > .$@
mv .$@ $@

So make require numeric.pl to build (or only check) num_limits.h. The
only solution I see is to include numeric.pl in distribution...