freetds - RE: [freetds] Getting a DBPROCESS instance from an SQLHDBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Getting a DBPROCESS instance from an SQLHDBC
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:52:13 +0100

> The project I am working on is using unixODBC and FreeTDS on
> Gentoo to
> talk to a MS SQL database. Under Windows, I wrote some code
> to do bulk
> inserts using the bcp_* routines, but when moved over and
> compiled under
> Unix, it failed because FreeTDS is expecting a DBPROCESS *
> instead of a
> SQLHDBC. I have searched through the FreeTDS source and
> mailing lists
> (back to 2002) and have not seen anything. Is there a function that
> does this and I am just missing it?

Well... functions you point are in dblib, not in our odbc driver...
FreeTDS do not support bcp in ODBC. bcp in dblib and in Microsoft mssql
odbc driver seems very similar (same prototype).

> Looking at the code, it should be possible to construct a DBPROCESS
> instance. It is not clear whether the connection semantics are
> compatible and whether it will screw up my unixODBC connection pool.
> Both the ODBC functions and the db*/bcp* routines use the TDS*
> structures. It seems like it might be a bit of work writing
> it and then
> testing it, so if anyone has already done this - please -
> help! Thank
> you much.
>
> Frederick N. Brier
> Multideck Corporation

This is the first time someone ask for dblib type bcp in ODBC so there
isn't any plan for such feature. As you can note even in the windows
world bcp_* functions are available in a different library (not in
odbc32.dll but odbcbcp.dll) that is part of Microsoft mssql odbc driver.
So if you/we want to implement such feature we have to decide how to
provide that set of functions to applications. A compatible way is to
provide a libodbcbcp.so library that find and link to libtdsodbc.so...