freetds - Re: [freetds] dbnextrow() question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: craigs <s.craig AT andronics.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dbnextrow() question
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:21:10 +0000

Bill,

You'd be surprised how complicated it is to find the distance between 2 lat lons! My LatLonDistance query uses a number of other functions to work it out, such as pie, cos, atan, sqrt as well as many multiplications and divisions.

I think i will have to create a stored procedure function to call as well as trying to reduce the results my query will return, it should be fun!

Is there any online resources where i can look into writing SQL functions that anyone knows off, save me a bit of time searching.

Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:

Hi Shaun

I'm going to keep going at this because it looks interesting...

Come on - how complicated is the math to work out the distance between
two lat/lon pairs ?

If you need a function - you know you can code your own functions in
SQL?

so you could code a SQL function (called PROXIMITY in this case), and...

create proc get_postcode_record ( @my_lat float, @my_long float )
AS
BEGIN
SELECT TOP 1 PlaceName, Town, Country, Latitude, Longitude,
SweepRadius
FROM PostCodes PC
WHERE PROXIMITY(PC.Latitude, PC.Longitude, @my_lat, @my_lon) <
PC.SweepRadius