freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql script file patch

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql script file patch
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0500

Brian Bruns <brian.bruns AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Any particular reason for capital F? lowercase -f in standard for
> input file on many (most?) unix programs (sed, awk, tar, etc...), I'd
> like to follow the convention.

Carlo, thanks for the patch. Would you be willing to redo it slightly?
(Nothing like punishing a good deed, I know.)

This already works:

tsql {options} < script.sql

You propose:

tsql {options} -F script.sql

Brian:

tsql {options} -f script.sql

I:
tsql {options} script.sql

Cf. more(1), sh(1), et. al. ;-)

sed & Co. accept -f as a command file, and filenames as data files. tsql
doesn't act on a data file; I would say it's more similar to /bin/sh.

I'll tell you what. If you'll do that for tsql, I'll change bsqldb to be
consistent. (bsqldb currently uses -i, like isql.)

Regards,