freetds - RE: [freetds] Missing ODBC functions: SQLDescribeParam, SQLExtend edFetch

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Missing ODBC functions: SQLDescribeParam, SQLExtend edFetch
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:18:23 +0100

Il giorno lun, 17-01-2005 alle 10:18 -0600, Pan, Suixiong ha scritto:
> So what you are saying is by using either iODBC or unixODBC, it would
> provide these functions, and this should work? I'll give it a try.
>
> Btw, Oracle states that a DM is not required for generic connectivity on
> Unix platforms, just an ODBC driver. Any thoughts on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Pan

You can do the same under windows... however DM can do additional
things:
- backward compatibility. It can emulate some function using others. For
example SQLExtendedFetch it's deprecated in ODBC3 and implemented in DM
for compatibility. FreeTDS it's an ODBC3 driver, it can provide
functions for backward compatibility but not required.
- logging. Very useful.
- parameter checking. More safety