freetds - [freetds] Longstanding issue and 0.64...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Longstanding issue and 0.64...
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:16:16 +0100

As someone should have noted I already committed some change in 0.64
trunk !
Now that we are more free I would like to discuss some longstanding
(big) changes. Mainly logging, thread-safe and row structure!

Log:
- James open the question many time ago. If would be fine to filter
logs by type (network, data and so only) and not only on level
- log it's mainly global. Although you can configure log by connection
a new connection just override all opened logs (not that kind). This
make logging global and cause some problems for testing (setting log for
a connection cause logging for entire server). Also there is a small
memory leak allocating name of logging file. This will require to put
logging file name in TDSSOCKET and an additional TDSSOCKET* parameter to
logging functions (perhaps we need also to syncronize access to a single
file)
- it would be fine to be able to disable compile of logging code for
embedded systems

have to handle both situations safety...

Row structure:
- well there is few things to say. It's a shit! We did too job to use
the same packing method used for getting data and in some case we lose
IMHO too much memory. All library use to bind parameters for input so it
would be good to use these bindings and compute row on the fly. This for
rpc/dynamic sql/bcp and if possibly while reading data.