freetds - Re: [freetds] Which library to use with MS SQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <brian.bruns AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Which library to use with MS SQL
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:31:33 -0500

Not to make a sudden appearance and disagree with Jim, but it largely
depends on your requirements.

If your needs are moderate, and portability isn't an issue then I
agree that dblib is the most approachable API. But, I usually
recommend ODBC anyway these days, except when the performance overhead
of the driver manager is a problem (almost never), or when special
features like bulk copy are needed. You just never know when you
might be running another database in the future.

IMNSHO, ctlib gives you all the complexity of ODBC, with none of the
benefits, and is probably useful only for a) porting existing apps and
b) doing things not supported by dblib or ODBC (these exist in the
OpenClient ctlib, but I can't think of a single one that is true for
in FreeTDS).

All that said, the only wrong answer is libtds. ;-)

Brian