freetds - Re: [freetds] Character conversion issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chuck Bearden <cfbearden AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Character conversion issues
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:12:59 -0500

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:36:23 -0400, James K. Lowden
<jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote:
> Chuck Bearden <cfbearden AT gmail.com> wrote:
<snippage />
> Your TDSDUMP log will indicate what the server's default single-byte
> encoding is. I bet you're trying to insert these names into a
> char/varchar column, and that the server's encoding can't handle it.
> Either that, or you found a bug.
>
> First test is to use nchar/nvarchar for your column definition. That will
> take care of the server end.

In a couple of columns I do use varchar because the data going into
them I know to be strictly ASCII alphanumeric, since I am the source
of that data. All columns actually containing name elements
(LastName, FirstName, etc.) are nvarchar.

> If that doesn't work, or if the single-byte encoding should work, then
> we'll need a TDSDUMP log. There's still enough detail in the log left
> over from when we were struggling with iconv that we should be able to see
> what the matter is.
>
> > I can provide a TDSDUMP log of this if it would be helpful.
>
> You guessed it. ;-)

Here it is:

<http://acad24.sahs.uth.tmc.edu/tdslog/tdsdump.log.txt>

> > If I change the client charset to UCS-2LE, I cannot even connect to MS
> > SQL:
>
> Sad but true. There's not a big push to handle UCS-2 clients.

My only interest in UCS-2 was due to the hope that, if the server
likes UCS-2, I could bypass conversion issues by feeding it UCS-2. If
I can make the loading work with UTF-8 I'll be perfectly happy.

Thanks,
Chuck