freetds - [freetds] Re: connecting to remote MS Sql 2k server from linux PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: connecting to remote MS Sql 2k server from linux PHP
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:13:33 +0200

On Oct 28, 2004, at 18:31, Rick D. Conner wrote:

At first sight I guessed this would be a file access rights problem (the user PHP runs as doesn't have sufficient rights to read the config file), but I'm not that sure anymore. In fact, it's probably something else.
Several things look a bit weird to me.

First off, are you trying to use the php script via a web server, such as Apache, or is it getting run via the command-line PHP interpreter? It seems to be the latter. That's good, it makes it all simpler.

The weird bits:

The putenvs at the start of your script should already be too late in the process to set them - maybe not, since you aren't running through a web server -, yet the log files are obviously getting made and the FREETDSCONF parameter is also seen as set.

Set wrongly, I might add, as it is supposed to be a file name, not the name of a directory, according to the manual:
<http://www.freetds.org/userguide/envvar.htm>

Anyway, $HOME/.freetds.conf, $SYBASE/freetds.conf or {compile-time freetds prefix}/etc/freetds.conf would get processed automatically without setting any environment variables.

Further weirdness: according to the log, FreeTDS seems to find the myserver2k entry in /home/bwelch/.freetds.conf anyway - but it ignores it and doesn't seem to be looking for it, instead trying to find the default SYBASE entry.

Then, despite all this, at the end it tries to connect to the mssql default port 1433 even though the default should be sybase's port 5000 considering it failed to get anything useful from the config files.

So I have to conclude I'm a bit confused but the FreeTDS developers will probably know the explanation right away. :)
In the meantime you should post the contents of all your FreeTDS-related configuration files.

/home/bwelch/.freetds.conf and /usr/local/freetds/etc/freetds.conf

--
fds