freetds - RE: [freetds] On unicode strings support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] On unicode strings support
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:39:19 +0200

> Well, thank you for clarifications. I would be satisfied with
> SQL_WVARCHAR
> support a la blobs - no convertions or special treatment,
> just -8 and -9
> data types codes and raw data. But OK, we have already
> resigned ourselves to
> loosing the unicode support.

Mmm... you you want to simplify works a lot there are some possibility:
- do not support *W functions
- do not support input/output parameters (placeholders in
SQLExecDirect/SQLExecute)
- support SQL_W(VAR)CHAR/SQL_C_WCHAR for SQLFetch/SQLBindCol
- keep WCHAR as they are and read as binary data

Using these restriction I don't think the change will reach 100 rows of
code... some if in token.c and some case conditions in odbc code (threat
WCHAR as binary...)