freetds - RE: [freetds] sp_cursoroption and blob fields

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mike C." <mcbp223 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] sp_cursoroption and blob fields
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:34:07 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 6:36 AM
To: mcbp223 AT yahoo.com; FreeTDS Development Group

> > Regarding the programming language, I use C++ with gcc and
> > Visual, I am too afraid of memory leaks to use C, and I guess
> > a server can afford to be less portable than a client.
> >

> In 2004 I don't think that C++ it's so "less portable"... gcc can
> compile for a lot of platforms, even cross compiling !

Yeah I use it to cross compile for sun solaris from cygwin, gcc 3.4 is great
for that; 3.3 and older is a pain in the *ss to get it cross-compile.
I was wondering why FreeTDS is in written C, and this is the conclusion I
came to, that you guys gain more portability with C.

> > How about a higher level question - is it good to stick to a
> > binary protocol for a server, or go to xml rather?
> >

> If you want odbc, oledb, etc without writing many code you have to use > a
protocol which provide these drivers... Oracle, DB2, MySql, postgres > or
whatever. Perhaps you can find a simpler protocol... I don't know... > I
think you have to implements many store procedure and emulations to
> make more stuff happy... IMO a simpler db should have a simpler
> protocol.

The good thing is that you don't have to implement them all at once. For
example if the client can live without server side cursors, you can skip the
sp_cursor* procedures alltogether.

Mike