freetds - RE: [freetds] dblib and thread safety

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] dblib and thread safety
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:08:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: liam AT inodes.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 10:51 AM

I've programmed with threads for close to 5 years and have published
several papers on subject. I am very keen to get FreeTDS working
reliably
for my project and I don't want to have a long discussion on threads
programming.

Please, cut me some slack and let's get down to the business of making
dblib thread safe! :)
-----End Original Message-----

Hi Liam,

Thank you for the patch. I think it's a worthy effort. I'm not worried
about the performance impact, and I'm sure we'll learn about portability
as we go along (or at least I will).

As soon as I get my domain back online -- which may yet be another week
or two -- I'll prepare the 0.63 release. Once 0.63 is branched in CVS,
we'll be free to apply your ideas to the development trunk.

I can see why Sybase wouldn't bother making db-lib threadsafe, but I
suspect the issues are more political/business than technical. As a
source code library, we're free to sprinkle #if THREADSAFE wherever we
please, and nonthreading environments, such as my NetBSD build host and
our new DOS friends, can always disable threading support at configure
time. In my view, as long as thread support can be added to db-lib
without changing its source-level calling interface, we might as well do
it.

By the way, I'm no huge fan of the shared-memory computing model; I
think threads are a giant step backwards. But lots of folks like them
(maybe for the challenge), and I won't stand their way. I'll even help
with autotool tests and such, to keep things as portable as possible.

I'm still hoping Bill or Brian will be able to offer some guidance wrt
adding context to the db-lib structure. If not, then once I get my
domestic technical infrastucture recombobulated, I'll sit down and sort
it out myself.

Regards,

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.