freetds - Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:28:31 -0400

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 brian AT bruns.com wrote:
> My point is, I guess, that they seem to be targeting this to the niche
> that Jet (Access) currently fulfills. Single machine or small
> workgroup database.

I see. Well, if I were Microsoft (I'm not; if you stood us side by side,
you could tell) I'd move away from Access as a database technology, too.
I mean, Access was born in, what?, 1992 or something? That was before
Microsoft heard of TCP/IP, and the standard LAN was a bunch of 80386's
running DOS hooked up to a Novell server. And, of course, Microsoft
didn't have a server OS offering, so their only viable solution was
shared-file-as-database. That was pretty inelegant then, and it's not
looking any hipper now.

> Look to see Access frontend to this instead of
> Jet with the next major rev (my supposition).

Or both. :-)