freetds - RE: [freetds] what size indicator

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] what size indicator
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:51:58 +0100

Hey James,

> The db-lib caller, however, will examine his 32-bit buffer as a 32-bit
int. In buffer_transfer_bound_data(), I think we all we have to do is treat
the nullbind indicator thus:

> if (curcol->column_nullbind) {
> if (tds_get_null(resinfo->current_row, i)) {
> *(DBINT*)(curcol->column_nullbind) = -1;
> } else {
> *(DBINT*)(curcol->column_nullbind) = 0;
> }
> }

This code change is both correct and necessary. You can apply it now if you
want. I'll include it in my next patch otherwise.

> Whew. I wonder what exactly "did not specify any data conversions" means?
srctype==desttype?)

I guess it does mean srctype == desttype.
If you were (implicitly) specifying a data conversion by binding, say, a
datetime column to a char type host variable, and the host varible length
was not sufficient to hold the converted value, you would get an "overflow"
type error out of the conversion function.
This is both legitimate and useful, as it would point a (probable) coding
error on your part.
I guess you could deliberately bind a char column to a char type host
variable that was of insufficient length to hold all the data in the column.
You might want to do this to trim an arbitrary amount of trailing blanks
from the data for example, or legitimately invoke a type of "substring"
functionality.
You can see why this might be regarded as legitimate practice, not meriting
an "overflow" type error.
I can only see this taking effect for CHAR type columns/host variables
though. A DBINT is intrinsically capable of holding the data from an INT
column, and so on...

I'll put the change for this into the code as part of my next patch.

Bill