freetds - Re: [freetds] windows installer copyright

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] windows installer copyright
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 09:44:18 -0700

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote on Friday, May 07, 2004:
> The other thing I think we should do is use autoconf to automatically
> insert the version strings.

I'm a little concerned about that since the MSVC6 compilation procedure
doesn't involve running "configure". I think that isn't a problem, but
I want to make sure I understand. Is the following sequence of events
correct?

1) The version number is changed in some automake configuration file.
2) A new "configure" script is generated.
3) The "configure" script is run on a Unix box. Among other things,
this produces a Makefile and a tweaked version of the setup.rc file.
4) Still on the Unix box, "make dist" is run to create a gzipped tar
archive containing the source files, INCLUDING THE TWEAKED setup.rc!
5) Somebody downloads source to a Windows PC, extracts the source, and
compiles it with MSVC6 without running "configure".

> Steve, if you don't want the copyright for this, you may wish to assign it
> to Brian or simply place it in the public domain. Your file, your work,
> your choice.

Okay, how do I assign the copyright to Brian?

--
Steve Kirkendall |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda AT cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?