freetds - [freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:06:28 -0700

Quick recap: I'm writing a tiny SQL server to allow Windows workstations
to access data on a Linux box, so they can run Crystal Reports. I was
trying to use the MS SQL Server ODBC driver because it is usually already
installed on Windows workstations, and because it is pretty easy to
configure. The FreeTDS ODBC driver can be compiled for Windows, but is
very hard to install and configure.

Earlier this week, I got frustrated with the lack of diagnostic information
from the MS SQL Server ODBC driver, so I decided to give the FreeTDS one
another try. For the FreeTDS ODBC driver to be practical, it absolutely
must have a configuration dialog.

So I added one. I added a few new files, and made tiny modifications to
a couple of others. I'd like to share the code, as soon as I can clear
up a few things.

1) I added the dialog to version 0.62.3 (the latest stable version).
Do I need to download the latest CVS version, and work my changes
into that? Or can I simply supply cdiffs relative to 0.62.3?

2) Where should I send the patches? It seems like a waste of bandwidth
to send them to this whole mailing list.

3) In the ODBC.INI information, what is the relationship between
"Servername", "Server", and "Address"? It looks like "Servername"
is obsolete, "Server" identifies the host that ODBC should connect to
(either as a domain name or a "numbers and dots" IP address), and
"Address" is always the IP address in "numbers and dots" format.
Is that right? Why is "Address" stored in ODBC.INI?

4) The Windows resource file also stores a version number. It's nice to
see a version number in the ODBC drivers list, but I'm worried about
maintenance. Somebody would have to remember to go in and update the
version number in the resource file whenever FreeTDS' version number
changed. Unless somebody knows an automated way to do that. Opinions?

--
Steve Kirkendall |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda AT cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?
|A:It is adding comments to the top of a message
|Q:What is top-posting?

  • [freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows, Steve Kirkendall, 04/30/2004