freetds - [freetds] FreeBSD and -Wl,-Bsymbolic option

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeBSD and -Wl,-Bsymbolic option
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:26:45 +0100

Some time ago I added this option (-Wl,-Bsymbolic) and symbols filter to
dblib/ctlib Makefiles. However James say that this cause a lot of
warnings compiling and comment it. Today I tested by myself and I got
same problem... Looking at configure execution I saw

checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked... yes

however compiling shared library libtool seems to NOT include explicitly
-lc !! -Wl,-Bsymbolic tell the linker to try to resolve all symbols
dependency at link time. This reduce load time however do not allowing
symbols overriding (IMHO not a real problem). So it seems a problem with
some "old" libtool (I used 1.4 version from SF compile farm). Do anybody
can test if updating libtool fix the problem??

I added symbols filter lines again, this does not seem to cause any
problems.