freetds - Re: [freetds] Can connect with TDS, but not ODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can connect with TDS, but not ODBC
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:52:48 -0500

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe AT osss.net> wrote:
> Lowden, James K wrote:
>
> >freetds.conf won't be consulted, because you're using the "Server"
> >attribute.
> >
> I've tried Servername = adreports as well - no difference. in any of the
>
> errors.

OK. I couldn't spot the problem, but see below.

> >Does "tsql -H 172.16.0.216 -p 1433" (and providing the right
> >username+password) work?
> >
> It logs in, yes. I'm not quite sure what to type at the prompts...or if
>
> it even matters.

It doesn't matter. You could do:

1> select @@servername
2> go

It will return the name of your server. Type "exit" to quit.

> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

It's pretty clear you're not finding the server. I suggest setting
TDSDUMPCONFIG to see what's happening. My guess is you'll see a message
at the end "cannot connect to SYBASE", because 'SYBASE' is FreeTDS's
last-ditch choice of name to try, when it hasn't been asked for anything
specific.

Probably that log will tell you what you want to know. If not, post it
here for deconstruction.

I'll be offline until Sunday night, playing in the ice and snow. Someone
will be able to help you, though. There's no magic in this, just
experience.