freetds - RE: [freetds] SQLRowCount failing after prepare and execute

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] SQLRowCount failing after prepare and execute
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:11:19 -0000

Hey Freddy,

I was thinking about this overnight - an annoying feature of being part of
this project - and I had the following thoughts.

Lets put aside your recent findings with the "two statements in one prepare"
for the moment, and get back to the original problem.
Matthew reports that SQLRowCount doesn't return the value when called as
follows:

SQL_NTS);
SQLExecute(hstmt);
SQLRowCount(hstmt, &rows);

This is clearly bad news. We should give him the rowcount.
If we're to do this, it means that we HAVE to read the DONEINPROC token and
do something with the row count we get.

Some questions. If the prepared statement is a SELECT... what does the
execute do ? presumably it doesn't fetch the rows...
Is it valid to call SQLRowcount directly after the SQLExecute in this
circumstance. If so, what is it supposed to return ?
it can't return a rowcount as we haven't fetched the rows or read the
following DONE token , have we ?

Isn't it therefore in the programmers arena to decide when it's valid to
call SQLRowcount ?

If the programmer knows they have prepared and executed an UPDATE statement,
then calling SQLRowcount afterwards is valid, and it should return a valid
value.
If the programmer knows they have prepared and executed a SELECT statement
then presumably calling SQLRowcount afterwards is meaningless, and is not
going to tell them anything, so they shouldn't call it or rely on the
results if they do...

Coming back to your "two statements in one prepare",
calling SQLRowcount and the equivalent-function-which-gives-the
number-of-columns (SQLColcount ?) is bound to be ambiguous in this context.
We shouldn't worry that the results we pass back are ambiguous - the
programmer shouldn't expect anything else, given what they've done.

coming back to solving Matthews problem - we SHOULD read the DONEINPROC
token and save any valid "done count" value. and we should return that value
when asked. If we were to maintain a "running total" of "done counts" from
the DONEINPROC tokens we read, and do the same for the column counts
(however they are arrived at) then we would have valid values to return in
Matthews case. We would also have something to return in your "two
statements in one prepare" case - although it would be (necessarily)
ambiguous. I THINK this method might approximate the results you are seeing
from the MS ODBC driver...

If we end up adding in rowcounts generated by triggered
updates/inserts/deletes - so what ? we would be returning a valid total of
the number of records affected by the original statement. It might be worth
trying out a simple statement with a trigger attached to the update in your
MS ODBC driver to see how that behaves...bet I can guess...

Hope this helps