freetds - RE: [freetds] Named Instances of MS SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Named Instances of MS SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:19:14 +0100

> You are a genius:
>
> you wrote:
>
> Looking at the sample C# source code that was sent earlier:
>
> "DANPC\\NETSDK" would get parsed into two parts:
> the ServerName (hostname) - "DANPC"
> the InstanceName - "NETSDK"
>
> The UDP socket on port 1434 is connected to "DANPC" and sent
> the data 0x02 and the InstanceName "NETSDK". The Microsoft
> SQL Server SQL Monitor listens here.
>
> The SQL Monitor responds with the result string that I showed below.
>
> You send and receive ASCII.
>
> Based on the data I got for ServerName "DANPC and
> InstanceName "NETSDK", I have two options of connecting to
> that instance:
>
> - connect via TCP port 1335
> - connect via named pipes at \\DANPC\pipe\MSSQL$NETSDK\sql\query
>
> Basically, I have discovered how to connect to the named
> instance "NETSDK" at "DANPC". However, for a Unix client,
> only the TCP port really matters.
>
> response:
>
> I'm playing around with a remote connection for the NETSDK
> and couldn't figure it out at all. Thanks for your posting.

Hi Scott!

Direct support for named instance in FreeTDS is still a TODO. You NEED
to know the tcp/ip port. I know it's not so difficult to implement named
instance (just open a upd connection, require port and wait reply),
however I prefer to dedicate my time to fix latest issues for coming
0.62 version... If you want to code it we'll be glad (me, James or
anyone how can) to add your code.

bye