freetds - Re: [freetds] application spin on HPUX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] application spin on HPUX
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:21:00 -0500

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003, sreynolds AT bradmark.com wrote:

> I have a problem that I am wondering if anyone on the tds list might be
> able to help.
>
> I have an application that connects and exports data using freetds. It
> runs well on several platforms (WIN32, solaris, linux, Tru64, AIX), but
> is having a problem on HPUX 11.11 when it connects to a Sybase 12.503
> (64-bit) on another HPUX 11.11 box. At this one place, the application
> does not connect, and instead spins consuming most of the CPU.
> This time, the connection confirmation or failure message didn't print,
> the application just spins (the hello message does print). The user
> there set TDSDUMP, but did not get a log file.

Welcome to the list, Steven. I would welcome you to the project, but
judging from your client list, it's a little late for that. ;-)

You're quite possibly the first one to use 64-bit HPUX on both ends.
These are big endian machines, yes? It sounds like you've been bitten by
a nasty bug. I'd like to help you, so you're the last one to be so
bitten. It won't be easy, though, because if it's as bad as you say, I'll
be guessing about the network behavior of a system I don't know.

Let's do something simple to make sure there's really *no* log:

$ export TDSDUMP=stderr
$ tsql -S [etc.]

I think you'll see something, because we write to the log file before we
try to connect. I think the log went somewhere the user didn't expect, or
to a directory he didn't have permission to write to.

If at all possible, I'd like to see a backtrace at the point the machine
spins the CPU.

The log should tell us what the server sent that we're not interpreting
correctly, and the bt will show what function we were in when that
happened.