freetds - [freetds] CVS backup

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] CVS backup
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:33:31 -0400

All,

We don't currently have any plan for backing up the source code archive
(CVS). It seems to me we should, because Source Forge explicity places
that resposibility on its users.

Source Forge makes the entire archive available nightly as a tarball:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/freetds-cvsroot.tar.bz2

I think we should have two backups i.e., two places that download the
above tarball nightly and can make it available for restoration to another
CVS server on a day's notice. These should be handled by people
interested in the project who won't incur bandwidth charges, who are
comfortable editing a crontab, and who'll review the logs to make sure the
file really arrived.

I think I shouldn't be one of the two. Too many eggs in one basket, and
I'm not very religious about reviewing logs.

If you're in a position to do this, and wouldn't mind, I'd be very
grateful. And if Source Forge goes away at some point, many others would
be, too.

Many thanks for your kind consideration.