freetds - RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Varley, David (CBorn at Alcoa)" <David.Varley AT alcoa.com.au>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:00:26 +0800

That's interesting. When some of our client databases were updated from
MSSQL7 to MSSQL2K recently, our access via Enterprise Manager failed with
the message about "user null". Our complaints took a while to filter up to
an expert in Microsoft Support, and the answer came back to use only Named
Pipes instead of tcp/ip.

We are connecting cross-domain, and the solution seems to be to map a
network drive to the NETLOGON share on the SQL server box using a valid NT
username/pw, and then connect using Named Pipes, which is much slower, but
authenticates.

>From what's been said in this thread, sounds like this may be a configurable
policy setting on their servers.

[I haven't tested against those servers with FreeTDS. Since the start of the
iconv changes a long time back I haven't been able to get a working build on
Tru64 :( ]

Cheers,

David