freetds - RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:35:59 +0200

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:05:40 -0500, "Chris Hettinger"
> <chettinger AT encompas.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > Inserted that line, but it didn't change the outcome of the
> tsql test.
>
> Sorry, let's try this then:
> [ENCPPP]
> host = encppp.encompass.enc
> port = 1433
> tds version = 7.0
> try domain login = yes
> try server login = no
>
> We have to explicitly say which is true and which is false.
> Otherwise, I'm not sure what happens.
>
> That should do it. Famous last words, I know.
>
> Note to list: Does anyone want to test this, and preferably
> fix it? A server may be configured to accept both kinds of
> logins. It would be nice to try both in turn before
> reporting a failure, because per-connection there's no way to
> specify the type.

A best way is to remove "try server login" configuration and use server
authentication by default...
Another way is to leave all blank and use "domain\username" syntax for
user.
User know if password it use is a domain password or a sql password so
IMHO it's not good to try to use both methods to login (also this is a
security problem).
IMHO it's not difficult to change this stuff... We should decide a
method, patch (documentation and code) for 0.62 release...