freetds - Re: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Steve Murphree" <smurph AT smcomp.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:56:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:40 PM

> Why do you say the driver blindly attempts to connect to a range of ports?

Just from the way it looked when I was trying it. I thought it might be
polling ports. I have since installed etherreal on my Windows box and I
want to play around with it. I'll go have a look at that code now as well.
I need to get my laptop working again (pothole in the hard drive) to check
traffic across the wire.

> I've been ignoring named instances because they looked like nothing more
> than an extra entry in freetds.conf. From your description of the ODBC
API,
> it sounds like we really need to implement the discovery protocol if we're
> going to support them properly. Would you agree?

Yes. If we discovered the instance name in this manner, an ODBC.INI or a
freetds.conf entry would not be needed. But do the Sybase servers do the
same thing? I have no experience with any of the sybase servers. Is there
any try/trial code servers from Sybase that will allow remote access?

Steve