freetds - [freetds] MSSQL syntax flavors

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andrew Pimlott <andrew AT pimlott.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] MSSQL syntax flavors
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:21:24 -0400

This is a question along the lines of the observation I made a few
days ago, about how MS SQL Server interprets commands differently
depending on what protocol or flags you connect with. I have
another example that I haven't been able to resolve.

I have a create trigger statement (that I didn't write) with a line

declare @rc int;

When I run it with sqsh, I get

Line 8: Incorrect syntax near 'int'.

(line 8 being that line). If I erase the ';', it runs fine. The
original code runs fine in a native MSSQL query tool.

The server is SQL Server 2000. My freetds is 0.61-4 in Debian
testing. I have "tds version = 7.0" in my freetds.conf, and no
other changes from what Debian distributes. I tried all the other
values of "tds version" as well, to no avail.

I hope you don't mind this sort of question here. I'm loathe to
pore through the MS documentation when I don't really even know what
I'm looking for. Maybe someone here could give me a hint as to
where to look, if nobody recognizes the issue right away.

Andrew