freetds - Re: [freetds] MSSQL gotcha

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andrew Pimlott <andrew AT pimlott.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MSSQL gotcha
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:19:33 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:45:41PM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> The problem is more even complex, and related to the recent
> QUOTED_IDENTIFIER discussion.

Cool--I'm glad to hear you have a good understanding of the issue.
I got dropped from the list a while ago and just resubscribed, since
I'm have to use MSSQL again (either that or Oracle--pick your
poision).

> sqsh is a ct-lib client. It's not clear what defaults are appropriate to
> ct-lib. The Principle of Least Astonishment is little help, it seems to me.
> Emulate Sybase's ct-lib defaults (on a Microsoft server)? db-lib behavior?
> Or ODBC? Someone porting a ct-lib application to Microsoft might be glad
> for Sybase emulation, but there are severe limits to what we could do.

As I understand, MSSQL is the only 7.0 product, so I think it makes
senes to do (by default) what MS's drivers and tools do. Porting a
ct-lib application is a special case. Granted, using sybase tools
like sqsh to access MSSQL is probably not that common either, but I
have to imagine it's more common.

> OTOH, ODBC's defaults are generally more ANSI compliant and "modern".

Even better reason to go with this, from my POV.

Andrew