freetds - RE: [freetds] FreeTDS performance

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] FreeTDS performance
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:48:29 -0400

I cannot reproduce your results. My tsql time:

time tsql -S ...
real 0m15.459s
user 0m8.404s
sys 0m1.036s

cpu: Intel Pentium II/Celeron (Deschutes), 349.20 MHz

Of the elapsed 15 seconds, 8 were FreeTDS. That's with TDSDUMP defined!

Encryption takes up bytes on the wire (I don't know the overhead), as well
as computation on both ends. On our 100 Mb Ethernet, scp normally delivers
~5 MB/sec, something like 50% throughput. I'm logged in via ssh to my tsql
host, too, though. And (see below) we're nowhere near that data rate.

A 100 Mb Ethernet is not your bottleneck, not substantially, IMHO. I would
say server latency would be a much bigger factor.

I wrote a little utility to derive the TDS bytestream from our log file. On
my machine, the TDS stream for your query was 1031351 bytes, or ~67 KB/s.
Put another way, the whole conversation could have been transmitted in ~0.1
seconds on a 100 Mb link, two orders of magnitude faster.

I've noticed in bcp that responding slowly to the server causes the server
to respond slowly to the client! Something to do with their scheduler, is
my theory.

I think you should get a faster printer, or use longer seconds. ;-)

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.